Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Changes

It's no secret that I despised my job. I spent the entire year of 2009 searching for a new job and besides a few dead-end interviews, nothing happened (thank you, economy). As time went on, I became increasingly depressed.

Then, a light at the end of the tunnel! Baby = stay-at-home mom. The end of the hated job was in sight, I just had to wait 9 months. I somehow made it through my first trimester despite booking it for the bathroom when the nausea became too much (this averaging 10 times during the workday). Second trimester brought mysterious belly pains, one time resulting in rushing to the doctor's office and every time resulting in panicking me. Nothing was wrong with me or the baby; my slowly expanding belly just pained me.

Last month I became flat-out unhappy, all the time. I was anxious, weepy, and I'm sure no fun to be around. Skyler began suggesting I quit my job. "We'll be fine," he said. Well, I knew we would be fine, but that didn't stop me from getting dangerously near hysteria at the thought of only one income. I wanted all the income we could get until this baby girl made her grand entrance.

To top off my job hatred, I wasn't sure if I'd get the week off I'd requested to visit Mary. If I didn't get the time off, they wouldn't work with me. I was livid at the thought.

Finally I'd had enough. "I can't do this anymore," I told Skyler. He smiled at me and said, "Just quit, Katie. We'll be just fine."

To appease to my amazing worrying skills, I applied at a temp agency so at least there could be some hope for income and quit my job at the post office the next day. After signing my resignation paper, I wasn't elated like I was when I quit my job at RxAmerica a few years ago. I simply felt peaceful and not for a moment since have I regretted it.

My sanity has returned. I had a restorative trip with Mom to Arizona (more on that later), and I am now a stay-at-home mommy-to-be. I spend my days getting plenty of sleep and still getting up at a decent hour. I grow a baby and pet the kitty. I run errands and shop the grocery sales. I make dinner (almost) every night. I thoroughly clean a room at a time and do it at my own pace. I relax when I need and/or want to.

Oh, and that pesky belly pain? GONE. Maybe this preggo girl just needed to eliminate some stress. Whatever the case, Sky and I are thrilled my pregnancy is now progressing more normally.

None of this would be possible without my wonderful, amazing husband. I am incredibly grateful that he wants me to stay at home and has a job that can make that happen. I have always wanted to be a mom and now it's happening.

2 comments:

Mayginnes said...

Hooray for Skyler! (and for you, Katie)

Anonymous said...

That's great- I'm glad you're feeling so much better now!