Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The White Queen

The White Queen Pictures, Images and Photos
The White Queen
The Cousin's War: Book 1
By Philippa Gregory



Synopsis: The first in a stunning new series, The Cousins’ War, is set amid the tumult and intrigue of the Wars of the Roses. Internationally bestselling author Philippa Gregory brings this extraordinary family drama to vivid life through its women – beginning with Elizabeth Woodville, the White Queen.


Elizabeth Woodville, of the House of Lancaster, is widowed when her husband is killed in battle. Aided and abetted by the raw ambition and witchcraft skills of her mother Jacquetta, Elizabeth seduces and marries, in secret, reigning king Edward IV, of the family of the white rose, the House of York. As long as there are other claimants to Edward’s throne, the profound rivalries between the two families will never be laid to rest. Violent conflict, shocking betrayal and murder dominate Elizabeth’s life as Queen of England, passionate wife of Edward and devoted mother of their children.


My review: I discovered Philippia Gregory after watching The Other Boleyn Girl and deciding I might like the book. I was absolutely rivited by the book (better than the movie, as is usual) and began reading other books by Gregory and for the most part have really enjoyed myself.


This book is no exception. This book has action from beginning to end and left me breathless for the next book in the series. Gregory has a very interesting take on 15th century England and how life was lived. I really liked Elizabeth, the main character, and enjoyed the added element of witchcraft and the way it was presented.


Rating: 4.5/5 stars. It wasn't the most amazing book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to end and will definitely read the next in the series.

1 comment:

Mayginnes said...

Good review, Katie.