Sunday, August 2, 2009

Outlander

Stay out of my way in 2011. My favorite book series EVER (Twilight, pah, that's child's play) is coming to the big screen.

Diana Gabaldon Pictures, Images and Photos

Sometimes when I go the library, I pick random books that I've never heard of out of the shelves. About 3 years ago I grabbed a book called "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon and really enjoyed it. A year or so later I realized it was a series, so I read the next book and dropped everything to finish it (these books are huge, around 800-1000 pages, so they're not a quick read). I was hooked. I bought the whole series (six books total - the 7th coming out next month!). While reading, I laughed aloud countless times, as well as cried (I literally cried for an hour in the second book) and even threw the book across the room, I was so mad (third book). I have reread all 6 books about ten times and am incapable of tiring of them.

The Outlander series is not for the faint of heart. There are some horrific things in these books, things most authors would never go near, but also some incredibly wonferful things, as well as the most real characters I have ever had the pleasure of reading. The series is generally put in the historical romance section, but that description is woefully inacurate. It's about emotion, humility, deceit, war, family, love, honor, loyalty, brotherhood, obligation, poverty, opression, tyranny, passion, accomplishment and defeat.

Randall Wallace is currently writing the script (also wrote Braveheart) and nobody's been cast yet. I'm sure the movie(s) will not compare to the books. But I'm thrilled out of my mind anyway. 2011, watch out!

2 comments:

Taylor's mom said...

Can I barrow these???? I need somthing new.

Alyce said...

I love the Outlander books! I'm re-reading them right now before the next book comes out. I can't wait to see who they cast for the movie. I always thought that a young Alan Rickman would have been perfect for the rolls of Frank & Jack Randall.

I'm just stopping by to let you know that I had to draw again for one of my giveaways, and you won The Secret by Beverly Lewis. I'll be sending you an email soon.